The Maynard Pearson House



Maynard Pearson House ~ Circa 1870


The Maynard-Pearson House, located at 1101 Olive Chapel Road in Apex, was constructed by Mr. James Jackson Maynard and Civil D. Pearson Maynard in the 1870's on land given to Civil D. Pearson by her father's will. The house originally consisted of the two-story portion with a breezeway to the dining room and detached kitchen called a "cook room". A picture, which hangs in the house, taken in the early 1900's, shows the original porch across the front and rooms to the rear. The original roof of the house had wooden shingles but is now tin.  Some side and back porch additions have been made since 1900. However, the latest remodeling was done about 1944 over 50 years ago.

Maynard-Pearson House
early years
 
Maynard-Pearson House
2004

The house remained in the Maynard-Pearson family until the sale in 1994 to M.J.K. Development. On May 5, 1995, two members of the Apex Historical Society called attention to the possible demise of the property on Olive Chapel Road. Teamwork and generous contributions of time, effort and money proved to be successful in saving the home and property. The property was deeded to the Maynard-Pearson House Trust, a 501c3 nonprofit entity. It now serves as the home of the Apex Historical Society. It is being used as a museum of rural living in the past, educational tours with historic emphasis and an example of restoration and preservation.

The house is pictured and described in "The Historic Architecture of Wake County NC," by Kelly A. Lally 1994. Wake County Landmark designation was given to the property in 2001.

The Maynard-Pearson House hosts the reception for the Apex Historical Society's Annual Homes Tour each December.

Home | Apex History | Maynard-Pearson House | Events | Calendar | Donations | Newsletters | Join !


Copyright 2002-2008 ~ Apex Historical Society ~ All Rights Reserved