Maynard-Pearson House - ~ Circa 1870
The Maynard-Pearson House, located at 1101 Olive Chapel Road in Apex,
was constructed by Mr. James Jackson Maynard and Civil D. Pearson
Maynard in the 1870's on land given to Civil D. Pearson by her father's
will. The house originally consisted of a two-story portion typical of the period, with
a breezeway to the dining room and detached kitchen called a "cook
room". A picture, which hangs in the house, taken in the early 1900's,
shows the original porch across the front and rooms to the rear. The
original roof of the house had wooden shingles but is now tin.
Some side and back porch additions have been made since 1900. However,
the latest remodeling was done about 1944 over 50 years ago.
The house remained in the Maynard-Pearson family until
the sale in 1994 to M.J.K. Development. On May 5, 1995, two members
of the Apex Historical Society called attention to the possible demise
of the property on Olive Chapel Road. Teamwork and generous contributions
of time, effort and money proved to be successful in saving the home
and property. It was deeded to the Maynard-Pearson House
Trust, a 501c3 nonprofit entity, and now serves as the home of the
Apex Historical Society. It is being used as a museum of rural living
in the past, hosts educational tours with historic emphasis and serves as an example
of restoration and preservation. Read more about the origin of the House and the families that lived in it...
The house is pictured and described in "The Historic Architecture
of Wake County NC," by Kelly A. Lally ©1994. Wake County Landmark
designation was given to the property in 2001.
The Maynard-Pearson House hosts the reception for the Apex Historical
Society's Annual Homes Tour each December.